Time Travel! The 30's
You'll have all seen the new floor of Film Theory won't you? Well, if you haven't I'll let you know now that it is based around The Wizard of Oz! For this reason for my next addition to my 'Time Travel!' posts I'll be taking you back to the 1930's.
The 30's was a time where there was always something going on, the Empire State Building was completed in Manhattan, New York during 1931, America was hit by the Great Depression, the planet (which is now a dwarf planet) Pluto was discovered in 1930, chocolate cookies were developed, President FDR was elected in America in 32, Ghandi's peaceful resistance movement against British colonial rule in India took place, Amelia Earhart became the first woman to fly a plane over the Atlantic Ocean on her own in 1933, Hitler rose to power, in 1936 the car company Porsche went into business, the Bass Guitar was invented in Seattle by Paul Tutmarc, and in 1939 Germany invaded Poland and started World War 2!
Music was changing, in the 30's Swing music replaces Jazz in around 1935, and musicians such as Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Leadbelly, and Glenn Miller rose to fame! Unfortunately, the music industry wasn't exactly booming during the 30's due to the Great Depression so not many stars were born but music played a vital role in keeping spirits up in America and all over the world during this time of economic crisis.
Films became more popular during the late half of the 30's, in 1937 Disney released Snow White and the Seven Dwarves which was an instant hit and is still a well loved classic today! Horror films peaked as people found a love for scaring themselves silly so King Kong was released, as was Dracula, Frankenstein and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. On the lighter hearted side of film, The Little Princess was released in 1939, as was Gone With The Wind and so was The Wizard of Oz making a star of Judy Garland and won awards such as Best Original Song for "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and was nominated for awards such as Best Picture and is now often voted one of the Top 10 Movies of All Time!
Fashion and Art was once again a massive part of the 30's as it is in every era, the 1930s provided the peak for Art Deco, Surrealism and Mexican Muralism. The style of the Flapper Girls of the 20's carried through to the 30's although was more toned down and feminine as skirt lengths lengthened once more, mainly due to the Great Depression which meant lots of people simply didn't have enough money to 1. Keep ontop of Flapper Girl styles or 2. evolve Flapper Girl fashion into something different. Short, sleek, bob style haircuts were stylish, dark lipstick was on the rise and fur became a hit again in this art deco era.
I hope you have enjoyed learning a bit more about the 1930's and if you have any questions feel free to ask away in my guestbook!
Here is a picture of the new Film Theory advertisement
- 72Clara_Clary Posting yang ditam…: "Spring outfits - with Starcoins! "
- 83The2gLaMs Posting yang ditam…: "Stardoll Make-Over: My Little Pony"
- 69chelamin Posting yang ditam…: "Bows Bows Bows! "
- 63maisie12345 Posting yang ditam…: "Getting the Best of 'Room Style'"
- 82Amber_Doll Posting yang ditam…: "Summer Trend - Denim Shorts!"
- 44HighHeels4Me Posting yang ditam…: "How to Rock Liquid Eyeliner"
- 30oliviax612 Posting yang ditam…: "Ideas are Coming!!!"
- 36GaGaLuv3r11 Posting yang ditam…: "Procrastinating for the Idea!"
- 49uniquegirl310 Posting yang ditam…: "Celebs in pastels!! :)"
- 97Oo.Ashley.oO12 Posting yang ditam…: "Following Stardoll Rules"
- 61MakeupBerries Posting yang ditam…: "How to: RED LIPS♥"
- 60jklmbo_ Posting yang ditam…: "Colorful Spring Makeup"
- 55Cherryminnie12 Posting yang ditam…: "Spring Trend- Black & White NonSS Outfit"
- 59the.kewl.kid Posting yang ditam…: "New Polished Collection"
- 37MQueen14 Posting yang ditam…: "Fashion Inspiration"
- 60AliceIzzy454 Posting yang ditam…: "Four starcoin outfits!"
- 53cooleypooley Posting yang ditam…: "Fact quiz! (celebrities)"
- 48Lay-Cey Posting yang ditam…: "The mermaid dress"
- 59KimmyyRoxx Posting yang ditam…: "Girly & Pink ~ Makeup on Stardoll"
- 62kamuz24 Posting yang ditam…: "A suite that "moves" !"
- 53Butterflypp Posting yang ditam…: "Top Five Winners! (Creativity Contest)"